Google My Business is a great tool for local businesses. This free service from Google allows professionals to make themselves known and gain visibility on the internet.
It is particularly suitable for small businesses wishing to attract visitors to their premises. But also to craftsmen wanting to acquire more customers online.
To get the full potential of Google My Business, apply these 6 tips:
- Complete all basic information
First of all, you have to complete the basic information of your page. With your Gmail account, log in to Google My Business. Then enter the following basic data:
- Company name, phone number and page or website. Be careful, give an easily reachable number.
- Category(ies) of trade. Select all categories of businesses and services related to your business. Tip: Identify one or two competitors who are performing well and choose the same categories.
- Address of the premises (agency, store, etc.), ideally those where you want to receive the public.
- Timetables and other useful information.
In addition, we advise you to use the full 750 characters to write your business description. Be sure to take care of the writing, integrating the main advantages of your service and a few keywords.
- Add images
Second, it’s best to add photos to your My Business page. This creates a certain closeness with Internet users, while satisfying some of their curiosity. The presence of photos also helps to reassure and reinforce the credibility of your company.
Good practice is to add at least 3 images for each category: exterior, interior and team.
Do you welcome the public or want to highlight the human and warm aspect of your company? Here’s another tip: as your first image, choose a photo with people.
Also, a site like geoimgr.com is useful for geotagging your photos. This will give Google more data to improve your page ranking.
- Provide as much useful information as possible
In addition to basic data and photos, you also have an interest in providing all kinds of useful information.
For example, add your menu with prices. Before choosing a restaurant, people like to know what to expect in terms of food and prices. To make their life easier, give them as much information as possible before they call you or come to your establishment.
If you have a menu, price list, online program or any other relevant document, provide a PDF of it. You may then need to convert your original JPG file to PDF. In this case, no need for software. Simply use Adobe’s online service to convert an image file to PDF. Downloading and possible printing will then be easier for your prospects and customers.
In addition, if your activity is very local, also specify the areas that your service covers (example: delivery or home intervention). To do this, edit the “Served areas” section.
Finally, you can even display your social media profiles on your Google My Business listing. This way, your visitors will be able to learn more about your company and its news. It can even arouse their curiosity and encourage interaction.
- Focus on customer reviews
Next, customer reviews have a strong impact on how visitors perceive your page. According to this study, 88% of consumers trust online reviews and recommendations from other users.
Of course, it is better if the majority of comments are in your favor. So ask your happy customers to leave authentic and accurate reviews. If they contain the keywords you are targeting, even better!
Also, respond to every review, whether positive or negative. In the event of a negative opinion, always remain courteous and professional. Keep in mind that all these exchanges will be public. So you need to return the best image possible.
- Use additional features to stand out
Our fifth piece of advice is to take advantage of the additional features offered by the platform. They will allow you to give even more information to customers, to contact them or to offer them an additional service.
Here are some of these functions, to use if they are consistent with your activity:
- Your Google My Business listing may contain a “Questions and Answers” section. From another account, create relevant questions that your customers and prospects might ask. Then reply from the account linked to your page.
- Use Google My Business messages to announce an event, important company news, special offers, or blog posts.
- With the messaging feature, send SMS to your targets. This will allow them to easily communicate with you.
- Allow an “Appointment” link on your page and link it to an appointment scheduler like Calendly or Schedule. This way, people will be able to book slots with you directly.
- In addition to your Google My Business page
Finally, you can also boost your online presence through other actions. This will help optimize your Google My Business page for search engines.
First, make sure your site mentions the places you want to rank for. So, if you want to appear for “plumber in Nantes”, make sure that a page on your site deals with this subject.
Then, publish articles regularly to occupy more space on Google. This will improve your online visibility and increase your credibility.
Listing in local directories can also help you boost your ranking with Google. Please note that your name, address and telephone number must be consistent everywhere on the internet. Creating multiple consistent listings in different directories will have a positive impact on your Google ranking. And even Google Maps.
Finally, also leverage Google Maps citations, driving directions, and other ways to increase your map presence.
In short, any additional visibility action to Google My Business will be useful to your local business!